Periodically check the Amateur Radio Courses page to see if any other courses have shown up. 

If it's not practical to get into a HAM radio course where you live you can home study and then find a willing examiner to have the test with or make an appointment with the nearest Industry Canada office and write the test there ($20 exam fee). They will not take large groups of people for exams, just a few ata time, hence the need for an appointment.

Radio Amateurs Canada is the overall Canadian amateur radio group that works with all Canadian amateurs and helps as an intermediary when dealing with Industry Canada. They have radio clubs and courses listed on their web site. They also have a training manual that is fairly up-to-date listed on their site. 

http://www.hamstudy.com/ -  a Canadian on line amateur radio course



West Coast Amateur Radio Association  is still providing courses. Their course is excellent but long and more costly than some of the volunteers wish to pay. The volunteers being some of the municipal EOC potential members and Search and Rescue members who would like to have amateur certification so that they can legally get behind the microphone (mostly hand held radios). Not sure where this is going but it does throw a wrench in the works for some. My personal view has always been that I would like people to get a good grounding in amateur radio but can also see where that is somewhat unnecessary for a good number of people who have simple needs. The WARA course does not skimp on training. They provide manuals you can take home and keep and they have a number of instructors who teach individual courses, bringing to bear their particular expertise. Many people who take the short course have gone on to the WARA long course because they have found amateur radio interesting and exciting and want more depth in their knowledge. 


VERY IMPORTANT - Available call signs can be found at this link:


When you go in to Industry Canada to write your exam you need to take three call signs with you, ones which are not in use by anyone else in Canada. You will be asked to write them down on a certification application after you have written and past your exam with your favourite call sign first, etc.

Note that starting out you will have what is known as a 3 letter call. That is either a VA7XXX or a VE7XXX in British Columbia(the X`s represent your own choice of call letters). Alberta would start with VA6 or VE6. 

You will need 3 call signs when you fill in the form for application for Basic Certification that we will FAX to Industry Canada on the Monday after the exam.

The suffix of three letters is required up until you have 5 years as a ham at which time you can apply for a two letter call sign. There will be a processing fee of $60 to make that change or addition. Some people retain their original call sign for other purposes such as using it with a repeater.

See:  http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01862.html



© Copyright RealWeb Enterprises Ltd.
all rights reserved